07/06 Online: Next Steps: 5 Week - Bounce, Balance & Beyond 10am
£195 (includes your Calligraphy materials RRP £60)
Time & Location
07 Jun 2024, 10:00 – 12:00 BST
Via Zoom | Recorded to Re-watch | WhatsApp
About the Event
A 5-week course running from Friday 7th June to Friday 5th july.
Tutor: Maisie Minett
This course offers the opportunity to advance from the fundamentals of calligraphy to mastering bounce, balance, and proportional lettering, culminating in the creation of sophisticated calligraphic compositions.
In our upcoming ‘Next Steps’ Calligraphy course, we'll be focusing extensively on the intricate design principles and techniques involved in calligraphic composition. As many of you already have your preferred calligraphy tools, such as pens, brush pens, or paintbrushes that you enjoy working with, we want to ensure you can utilise them comfortably throughout the course.
Our emphasis will be on mastering the art of bounce, balance, and proportional lettering while delving into the creative aspects of calligraphic design. To facilitate this, the supplied kit will include essential items such as high-quality paper suitable for calligraphy, soft pencils and some metallic paint and cards for the final piece.
We encourage you to bring your preferred calligraphy tools—whether pens, brush pens, or specific brushes—as you're already comfortable using them. This way, you can apply the techniques we explore using the tools that best suit your style and preference.
Once you've ordered, you'll receive a link to the Zoom meeting. On the day of the class, use that link to join the class. Class sizes are kept small, so you can easily ask questions and get lots of one on one time with your tutors. Zoom is free and easy to use, on any device. You're in control of your privacy - you can mute yourself and hide your webcam if and when you prefer.
Week 1: Bounce and balance
- Recap of foundational calligraphy techniques (letterforms, strokes, tools)
- Introduction to bounce lettering: explanation, examples, and practising variations in letter heights and shapes
- Understanding balance in composition: symmetrical vs. asymmetrical arrangements
Week 2: Negative Space and knitting letters together
- Detailed exploration of bounce lettering styles and techniques
- Practice drills to emphasize fluidity and variation in letterforms
- Creating balanced yet dynamic letter combinations
Week 3: Extending connections, Scale and Mini Caps
- Understanding letter proportions and spacing for various styles (e.g., script, Roman capitals)
- Exercises on achieving consistent letter sizing and spacing
- Introduction to composing phrases and quotes with proper proportions
Week 4: Proportion, Flourishes and Compositions
- Principles of visual balance in calligraphy compositions
- Hands-on practice in designing balanced layouts using bounce and proportional lettering
- Critique and feedback on compositions
- tips for adding flourish and style to compositions
Week 5: Refining your design
- Refining compositions through the use of decorative elements and flourishes
- Experimentation with different styles and effects to enhance bounce and balance
- Students work on final compositions by applying all learned techniques
- Presentation and critique of final projects
- Tips for further practice and resources for continued improvement
Every session of the course will be recorded, so if you miss a week for any reason you will able to watch the recording to catch up! We're looking forward to delving into the exciting world of calligraphic design principles together!
Choose the Kit option to receive the following materials and printed workbook to your home. Bring your preferred calligraphy tools.
With Kit Ticket
Pentel brush sign black,
A4 Rhodia dot pad
Metallic Finetec Paint Pan
2 small paintbrushes
Blank Card for finished pieces
No Kit Ticket
If you feel you have all the items listed above you can select the No Kit Option and receive the worksheets as an email to be printed at home. Bring your preferred calligraphy tools and your paper, brushes and Finetec to the sessions.
If you have any questions about the supplies provided, please feel free to contact us before the course begins.
An online workshop is a wonderful way to learn calligraphy, as you can watch your tutor demonstrate up close on your screen so that every letter stroke and movement of the pen and hand is magnified.
Your Live Stream Workshop Kit will be posted to you once your order is placed. All you need to provide is a jar of water, and please protect the surface that you work on in case of ink spills.
There is now the option to split your payment into 3 monthly instalments by using Clearpay at the checkout.
Included within this ticket price is postage to the UK mainland only, no Islands or Highlands. For other UK and international locations, please email Emily at email@example.com with your name, address and the workshop/course title and date you would like to attend and she will be able to let you know the additional postage charge and eta for your kit via Royal Mail.
PLEASE NOTE Once your kit has been posted, workshop tickets are not refundable. This does not affect your statutory rights.
This workshop will be hosted via Zoom. Your Zoom invite will come with your booking email confirmation, and we'll send it to you in your reminder email 3 days before your workshop. Please check your Spam folder in case the emails end up in there.
- Ticket type
OnlineBB5Wk NO KIT
This ticket option does NOT include a kit. Worksheets and templates will be emailed. Please ensure that you have selected the right option.Price£125.00
- Ticket type
Online BB5Wk WordShapes
This ticket includes a full kit which will be posted to you a week before your course is due to start.Price£195.00